“Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love, they depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog, it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs your heart is very big” – Erica Jong.
In the short time that our beloved pets are with us, they become an important part of our family, giving us so many happy memories. The loss of such a companion can truly be heartbreaking. Here are five ways to honor the loss of a pet:
- Plant a Tree – Nurturing a living legacy everyday, is a truly memorable way to honor your pet. Let the legacy of the life of your pet live longer by planting a tree. Pick a spot in your garden, lawn or balcony and plant a tree. As the years pass on, you’ll be pleased to see the tree grow big and strong.
- Donate – You can always donate in cash or kind in your dog’s name to a shelter that helps in dog rescue. It serves to be a great tribute for your pet and goes on to help countless lives in dire need of help.
- Volunteer – Make a positive impact in the lives of other animals in need by volunteering at a shelter. You will honor your pet’s memory and also help another animal in need.
- Share something your pet loved – Sharing is caring. Give away something that your dog loved to bring joy into another pet’s life. Be it a ball, a treat or a toy. A creative tribute like this will truly warm your heart and other hearts too!
- Adopt again! – Someone rightly said – “Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever”. While there can never be a replacement for your dog, but you can surely give a dog in need, a shot at life. It goes without saying that you must wait till the time is right.